Ricotta cheese - 15 oz tub, Sweetened Condensed milk - 14 oz (1 small can), Milk powder - 1/2 cup, Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp, Rose essence - 1/4 tsp, Saffron - 1 tsp crushed strands, Pistachios - 12-15 finely chopped, Almonds - 8-10 - crushed. **Additional sugar 2-3 tsp (I did not add since it was sweet enough for me, but if you feel you need more sweetness, you can add, it is optional)*
- Take a large microwave safe bowl or container, combine ricotta cheese,condensed milk, milk powder, cardamon powder, rose essence and few saffron strands. Whisk till everything is mixed well without any lumps. (I have a 1200 watts microwave, but you can adjust cooking time according to your microwave wattage).
- Microwave it initially for 1-2 minutes, make sure the bowl is partially covered with splatter guard since the liquid boils over and splatters a lot initially.
- Check on it and mix well and microwave it partially covered for 1-2 mins, keep checking for boil over and splatter. Repeat 2 more times.
- By now, the mixture will start getting thicker. Now you can remove the splatter guard.
- Microwave uncovered for 2-3 mins and repeat 2-3 times. The mixture will start turning dry and grainy and will not stick to the bowl. (Keep microwaving for additional minutes, 1 minute at a time till you reach desired consistency)
- When it reaches almost dry consistency, pour it into a greased container. Pat it to make it even and add crushed pistachios, almonds and saffron strands on top.
- Let it set for 30-45 mins, after which you can cut it into squares or any desired shape.
Enjoy quick and easy Kalakand Barfi!