Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sweet Shankarpali/Shankarpale (Sweet Diamond Cuts)

This is in continuation of my Diwali Sweets posts since the festival is fast approaching. Today I am sharing the recipe of Sweet Shankarpali/Shankarpale. They are shaped like diamonds and can be either sweet or savory.  Today I am sharing the sweet version.

Ingredients: 1 cup all purpose flour/wheat flour (depending on your preference) - all purpose gives more crispy results but wheat flour is more healthy, so its your choice :), 1/4 cup ghee (melted), 1/2 - 3/4 th cup sugar (adjust according to sweetness of sugar), a pinch of salt, and oil to fry.

Method: Add sugar and a pinch of salt to the flour and pour 1/4th cup hot melted ghee over it. Knead it into dough using water or milk as needed (Milk makes them more crispy). Keep it under a wet towel. Keep kneading it every 1/2 hour. After 2 hours, make balls out of the dough and roll them with a rolling pin. Take a pinwheel cutter and cut diamond shapes out of the rolled dough. Fry them in hot oil till they are light brown. Cool and store them in airtight container.

I am sending this to South Indian Home's - Dish it out - with Wheat and Jaggery originally started by Vardhini and also sending it to Kirthi's Kitchen Festival Potluck.

24 comments:

Archana said...

Wow R these look so delicious.
I am hosting a new event which I am calling Back to our Roots. Do check out my event and send me your entries from 15/10/11 to 30/11/11.

Suma Gandlur said...

Love these crunchy diamonds. :)

Sravs said...

so cruchy and delicious snack !!

Ongoing Event - Festive Food

Alpana said...

DElicious snack......goes well with the festive theme.

Amila said...

yummy recipe....seems easy to prepare.love it

Unknown said...

I love this simple and yummy sweet - make it when i need to come up with something quick - looks delicious - happy diwali to you :)

Shylaja said...

Simple and delicious recipe.
Please send this to the event dish It out
http://southindianhome.blogspot.com/2011/10/dish-it-out-with-wheat-flour-and.html

Kalyani said...

looks crispy and delicious ......

Urmi said...

Diamond cuts looks crispy, crunchy, tasty, yummy and perfect for snacks.

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

These are one of my favorites....they look very tempting

Anu said...

perfect evening snack...like it

Ambreen (Simply Sweet n Savory) said...

Oh dear! That looks great. Sweet & crispy snack :)

My Kitchen Antics said...

i love love love diamond cuts..im totally bookmarking this 2 try out sometime

Priya Suresh said...

Love this sweet diamond cuts anytime,my fav..

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

my fav one. my mom makes this while making mixture. nicely done

Zareena said...

mmm... my all time favorite snack. Looks very very delicious.

Kurryleaves said...

absolutely love this....yummy

Unknown said...

wow, they look superb !!!

divya said...

yummy and delicious..

Suja Manoj said...

They look superb,love diamond cuts

Sobha Shyam said...

wonderful, yummy and a sweet snack..

R said...

Thank you everyone for appreciating.

@Archana: thnx. will definitely try to send in an entry.

@southindianhome: thnx. sent my entry as requested.

KrithisKitchen said...

Super good.. this is on my to-do list... you could send this to our festival event..
Krithi's Kitchen
Event: Serve It - Festival Potluck

R said...

@kirthi's kitchen: thnx. just sent in my entry.