Saturday, April 10, 2010

Chocolate, Almond and Walnut Biscotti

Nupur of Onehotstove has announced an event called Blogbites #2 - Copycat Edition. So as per the event rules, this recipe is inspired by another blog and is something that we often buy from the store and I have never tried to make at home.

Today I am going to make Chocolate, Almond and Walnut Biscotti. This recipe is inspired by Nupur's Chocolate Walnut Biscotti. Biscotti means twice baked cookie. Nonni's Biscotti is our all time favorite!! Its a dry and hard cookie and tastes divine when dunked in coffee. You can find out more about biscotti here. Nupur also has a really good write up about biscotti on her blog with a nice and simple recipe and an equally lovely picture. Reading her post made me realize for the first time that this was something I could manage to make at home :)

So here goes....... I used Nupur's basic recipe and added ingredients that we like in a biscotti. For the dough, I mixed together - with a hand mixer (if you have the electric mixer, that's great) 3 tbsp butter (room temp) with 1/3 cup sugar and 1 egg. Then I added 1/4 tsp vanilla, (it enhances the flavor of chocolate). After that I added 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 pinch salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp cocoa powder (used Hershey's as I had it on hand), 1 tsp coffee. Since I did not have chocolate chips on hand, used 1/2 big size milk chocolate bar (shredded) - the other half was gobbled up by my kids! and 4 tbsp toasted and coarsely ground nuts - I used walnut and almonds. 

Then I shaped the dough into a log and baked it in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25 mins like the recipe says. I cooled it for 30 mins (was distracted talking to a friend on the phone). Then cut with a serrated knife, (yes, it was crumbly as Nupur said so be careful while cutting) then baked it again for 10 mins in the oven.
The result - Simply divine biscotti!!! The verdict: Kids - were absolutely thrilled, Husband - loved it too [after all the couch is not so comfortable at night now, is it ? ;)]

Jokes apart, it really came close to Nonni's biscotti that we all love so much and my family couldn't have enough. Will be baking more now instead of buying, so thanks Nupur for inspiring me to try it out :))

This entry goes to Nupur's Blogbites #2 - Copycat Edition.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow wow wow Rupali, amazing looking. Great job !!!

Pavithra Srihari said...

very delicious biscotti ..

Nupur said...

Your version looks so delicious! I'm very glad the recipe worked for you. Thanks for a fantastic entry!

R said...

Priya: Thanks so much for ur enthusiastic appreciation :)
Pavithra: Thanks it was indeed delicious!
Nupur: Thanks! yes, the recipe worked wonders :)

Kiran said...

Rupali,biscotti looks very delicious and the pics are very tempting.

Sushma Mallya said...

Biscotti looks very tempting and perfectly done it too...lovely presentation rupali

Aruna Manikandan said...

Looks perfect and delicious dear :-)

R said...

Kiran: thanks so much!
Sushma: thanks for appreciating!
Aruna: Thank you!!

s said...

yummmy incredibly tempting pics!!!!
hey thanks for the award!

Rohini said...

Wow.. Pics are enough to make me drool and I can only imagine how tasty they would be!!! Great effort!!

Gita Jaishankar said...

I always wanted to try these...now I must make biscottis...nice pictures...chocolate with walnuts and almonds sounds too good :)

R said...

s: thanks and yes, u r welcome :)
Rohini: thanks, yes they were really tasty :)
Gita: they tasted indcredible, if u like nonni's biscotti, u should definitely try these out!

Malar Gandhi said...

Whoo, wow, looks awesome, pls pass me the plate.

Anonymous said...

R:
Your chocolate biscotti looks so tempting!! for chocoholics like me... its like a full meal..
yummy
keep up ur good work.
B
http://sizzlinspice.blogspot.com/

R said...

malar: thnx, really wish i could pass it on to u :))
Anonymous: thanks so much for ur appreciation!

Elina said...

I was never a fan of biscotti until I made my own one day. It was SO amazing! I think I like them a little softer so that I don't risk breaking my teeth ;) This flavor combination sounds divine!!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Lovely Biscotti. Going weak in the knees for it!

R said...

Elina: the flavor combination did taste good! do u know any trick to make biscotti softer?
Cool Lassie: thanks for appreciating and following!

Unknown said...

Yummy! All I need it a hot cup of tea and one (or two) of your biscotti and I am in heaven!

R said...

Linda: ditto :) thnx for following!

Suma Gandlur said...

They look perfectly crunchy.

R said...

suma: thanks!!

Sayali said...

Its so yummyy..thnks for this recipe

R said...

Sayali: thanks!

R said...

Camelia: thanks so much! will do soon :)